Your privacy is critically important to us. At Marco’s Grounds, we have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information on your website is shared publicly (or kept private), indexed by search engines, and permanently deleted.
- We help protect you from overreaching government demands for your personal information.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Throughout these Terms, “you” applies to both individuals and entities that access or use our Products and Services. If you are an individual using our Products on behalf of an entity, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to bind that entity to the Agreement and that by using our Product(s), you are accepting the Agreement on behalf of that entity.
Your Agreement is with Marco’s Grounds LLC.
We refer to Marco’s Grounds LLC registered under Laws and Regulations of the Swiss Confederation and Marco’s Grounds International Ltd. registered under Laws and Regulations of the Republic of Ireland as “Marco’s Grounds” or “we” or the “Company” throughout these Terms. We refer to the Marco’s Grounds® as the “Brand” throughout these Terms.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT THIS POLICY COVERS
Howdy! We are the folks behind a variety of products and services designed to make human lives better and more meaningful.
- Our websites (including marcosgrounds.com and affiliated websites);
- Our mobile applications (including the Marco’s Grounds mobile app for Android and iOS);
- Our other Marco’s Grounds products, services, and features that are available on or through our website; and
- Other users’ websites that use our Products, while you are logged in to your account with us.
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
CREATIVE COMMONS SHAREALIKE LICENSE
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so — for example, to provide our Products, to communicate with you, or to make our Products better.
We collect this information from three sources: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through purchasing our Products, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Marco’s Grounds Blog
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
If you request a password reset, your IP address will be included in the reset email.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Marco’s Grounds STORE
We collect information about you during the checkout process on our store.
What we collect and store
While you visit our site, we’ll track:
- Products you’ve viewed: we’ll use this to, for example, show you products you’ve recently viewed
- Location, IP address and browser type: we’ll use this for purposes like estimating taxes and shipping
- Shipping address: we’ll ask you to enter this so we can, for instance, estimate shipping before you place an order, and send you the order!
When you purchase from us, we’ll ask you to provide information including your name, billing address, shipping address, email address, phone number, credit card/payment details and optional account information like username and password. We’ll use this information for purposes, such as, to:
- Send you information about your account and order
- Respond to your requests, including refunds and complaints
- Process payments and prevent fraud
- Set up your account for our store
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes
- Improve our store offerings
- Send you marketing messages, if you choose to receive them
If you create an account, we will store your name, address, email and phone number, which will be used to populate the checkout for future orders.
We generally store information about you for as long as we need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it, and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we will store order information for XXX years for tax and accounting purposes. This includes your name, email address and billing and shipping addresses.
We will also store comments or reviews, if you choose to leave them.
Who on our team has access
Members of our team have access to the information you provide us. For example, both Administrators and Shop Managers can access:
- Order information like what was purchased, when it was purchased and where it should be sent, and
- Customer information like your name, email address, and billing and shipping information.
Our team members have access to this information to help fulfill orders, process refunds and support you.
What we share with others
We share information with third parties who help us provide our orders and store services to you; for example —
We accept payments through PayPal and Stripe. When processing payments, some of your data will be passed to PayPal, including information required to process or support the payment, such as the purchase total and billing information.
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO US
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us directly. Here are some examples:
- Basic account information: We ask for basic information from you to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a marcosgrounds.com account to provide an email address and password, along with a username or name — and that’s it. You may provide us with more information — like your address and other information you want to share — but we don’t require that information to create a marcosgrounds.com account.
- Payment and contact information: If you buy something from us, we’ll collect information to process those payments and contact you. If you buy something from us, you’ll provide additional personal and payment information like your name, credit card information, and contact information. We also keep a record of the purchases you’ve made. If you use our Products, you’ll have to create a marcosgrounds.com account or connect an existing account.
- Communications with us (hi there!): You may also provide us with information when you respond to surveys, communicate with a support question, post a question in our public forums, or sign up for a newsletter like the one we send through Marco’s Monthly Wrap-Ups. When you communicate with us via form, email, phone, marcosgrounds.com comment, or otherwise, we store a copy of our communications (including any call recordings as permitted by applicable law).
- Job applicant information: If you apply for a job with us — awesome! You may provide us with information like your name, contact information, resume or CV, and work authorization verification as part of the application process.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log information: Like most websites, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, including the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Products.
- Usage information: We collect information about your usage of our Products. We also collect information about what happens when you use our Products with information about your device. We use this information to, for example, provide our Products to you, get insights on how people use our Products so we can make our Products better, and understand and make predictions about user retention.
- Location information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Products from certain geographic regions. We may also collect information about your precise location via our mobile apps (like when you post a photograph with location information) if you allow us to do so through your mobile device operating system’s permissions.
- Stored information: We may access information stored on your mobile device via our mobile apps. We access this stored information through your device operating system’s permissions. For example, if you give us permission to access the photographs on your mobile device’s camera roll, our Products may access the photos stored on your device when you upload a really amazing photograph of the sunrise to your website.
- Interactions with other users’ sites: We collect some information about your interactions with other users’ sites while you are logged in to your account with us, such as your “Likes” and the fact that you commented on a particular post so that we can, for example, recommend posts we think may interest you.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM OTHER SOURCES
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you create or log in to your marcosgrounds.com account through another service (like Google). The information we receive depends on which services you use or authorize and what options are available.
Third-party services may also give us information, like mailing addresses for individuals who are not yet our users (but we hope will be!). We use this information for marketing purposes like postcards and other mailers advertising our Products.
HOW AND WHY WE USE INFORMATION
We use information about you for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Products.
- To ensure quality, maintain safety, and improve our Products.
- To place and manage ads in our advertising program.
- To market our Products and measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our marketing.
- To protect our Products, our users, and the public.
- To fix problems with our Products.
- To customize the user experience.
- To communicate with you.
- To recruit and hire new Marco’s Groundsians.
LEGAL BASES FOR COLLECTING AND USING INFORMATION
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under the applicable terms of service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account — for example, to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your information — for example, to provide and update our Products; to improve our Products so that we can offer you an even better user experience; to safeguard our Products; to communicate with you; to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising; and to understand our user retention and attrition; to monitor and prevent any problems with our Products, and to personalize your experience; or
We share information about you in limited circumstances and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy. These are spelled out below:
- Legal and regulatory requirements: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or another governmental request.
- To protect rights, property, and others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Marco’s Grounds, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With your consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties when you authorize us to do so.
- Aggregated or de-identified information: We may share information that has been aggregated or de-identified, so that it can no longer reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Products, or share a hashed version of your email address to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other platforms.
- Site owners: If you have a marcosgrounds.com account and interact with another site using our Products, your information may be shared with the administrators of the site.
- Published support requests: If you send us a request for assistance (for example, via a support email or one of our other feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request to clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
We have a long-standing policy that we do not sell our users’ data. We aren’t data brokers, we don’t sell your stuff to data brokers, and we don’t sell your information to other companies that want to spam you with marketing emails.
We show ads on some of our sites, and the revenue they generate lets us offer free access to some of our Products so that money doesn’t become an obstacle to having a voice.
INFORMATION SHARED PUBLICLY
Information that you choose to make public is — you guessed it — disclosed publicly.
That means information like your public profile, posts, other content that you make public on our website, and your “likes” and comments on other websites are all available to others — and we hope they get a lot of views!
Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties.
Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share publicly.
HOW LONG WE KEEP INFORMATION
We generally discard information about you when it’s no longer needed for the purposes for which we collect and use it — described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information — and we’re not legally required to keep it.
For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to one of Marco’s Grounds’ websites, like the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. We retain the logs for this period of time to, among other things, analyze traffic to Marco’s Grounds’ websites and investigate issues if something goes wrong on one of our websites.
As another example, when you delete a post, page, or comment from your marcosgrounds.com site, it stays in our Trash folder for thirty days in case you change your mind and would like to restore that content because starting from scratch is no fun. After the thirty days are up, the deleted content may remain on our backups and caches until purged.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so. We monitor our Products channels for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the information that you provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain Products may not be accessible.
- Limit access to information on your mobile device: Your mobile device operating system should provide you with the option to discontinue our ability to collect stored information or location information via our mobile apps. If you choose to limit this, you may not be able to use certain features.
- Opt-out of marketing communications: You may opt-out of receiving promotional communications from us. Just follow the instructions in those communications or let us know. If you opt-out of promotional communications, we may still send you other communications, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set your browser to reject cookies: At this time, Marco’s Grounds does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of our websites. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using Marco’s Grounds’ websites, with the drawback that certain features of Marco’s Grounds’ websites may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
- Close your account: While we’d be very sad to see you go, you can close your account if you no longer want to use our Products. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in How Long We Keep Information above — for example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
If you are located in certain parts of the world, including the Republic of Ireland and countries that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (aka the “GDPR”), you may have certain rights regarding your personal information, like the right to request access to or deletion of your data.
EUROPEAN GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR)
If you are located in a country that falls under the scope of the GDPR, data protection laws give you certain rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT (CCPA)
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires us to provide California residents with some additional information about the categories of personal information we collect and share, where we get that personal information, and how and why we use it.
The CCPA also requires us to provide a list of the “categories” of personal information we collect, as that term is defined in the law, so here it is. In the last 12 months, we collected the following categories of personal information from California residents, depending on the Services used or Products purchased:
- Identifiers (like your name, contact information, and device and online identifiers);
- Commercial information (your billing information and purchase history, for example);
- Characteristics protected by law (for example, you might provide your gender as part of a research survey for us);
- Internet or other electronic network activity information (such as your usage of our Services, like the actions you take as an administrator of a marcosgrounds.com site);
- Geolocation data (such as your location based on your IP address);
- Audio, electronic, visual or similar information (such as your profile picture, if you uploaded one);
- Professional or employment-related information (for example, the information you provide in a job application); and
- Inferences we make (such as the likelihood of retention or attrition).
- You can find more information about what we collect in the Information We Collect section above.
- We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in the How and Why We Use Information section. And we share this information with the categories of third parties described in the Sharing Information section.
- If you are a California resident, you have additional rights under the CCPA, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the right to:
- Request to know the categories of personal information we collect, the categories of business or commercial purpose for collecting and using it, the categories of sources from which the information came, the categories of third parties we share it with, and the specific pieces of information we collect about you;
- Request deletion of personal information we collect or maintain;
- Opt-out of any sale of personal information; and
- Not receive discriminatory treatment for exercising your rights under the CCPA.
THE CCPA & PERSONALIZED ADVERTISING IN OUR ADS PROGRAM
The personal information we share includes online identifiers, internet, or other network or device activity (such as cookie information, other device identifiers, and IP address), and geolocation data (approximate location information from your IP address). These disclosures may be considered a “sale” of the information under the CCPA. We do not sell (or share) information through our ads program that identifies you personally, like your name or contact information.
CONTACTING US ABOUT THESE RIGHTS
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to or you’d like to contact us about one of the other rights, go to the Contact page to, well, find out how to reach us.
When you contact us about one of your rights under this section, we’ll need to verify that you are the right person before we disclose or delete anything. For example, if you are a user, we will need you to contact us from the email address associated with your account. You can also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf by giving us written authorization. We may still require you to verify your identity with us.
CONTROLLERS AND RESPONSIBLE COMPANIES
Marco’s Grounds’ Products are manufactured in Switzerland and shipped worldwide. Different Marco’s Grounds companies are the controller (or co-controllers) of personal information, which means that they are the company responsible for processing that information, based on the particular location of the individual Product and the shipping facility from which it was dispatched.
Depending on the Product you use, more than one company may be the controller of your personal data. Generally, the “controller” is the Marco’s Grounds company that entered into the contract with you under the Terms and Conditions for the product or service you use. Besides, Marco’s Grounds LLC, our Swiss company, Marco’s Grounds International Ltd., is the controller for some of the processing activities across all of our Products worldwide.
HOW TO REACH US
OTHER THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW (KEEP READING!)
- In the case of US-based entities, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield; or
- In the case of entities based in other countries outside the EEA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.
You can ask us for more information about the steps we take to protect your personal information when transferring it from the EU.
ADS AND ANALYTICS SERVICES PROVIDED BY OTHERS
Ads in connection with any of our Products may be delivered by advertising networks.